I smuggled Owl's favorite turtle cake recipe via email from his sweet mother. It's a german chocolate base that is intended for a 9 x13 cake pan (something I came to understand the logic behind when removing). Half the batter is baked and then covered in a mixture of melted butter, evaporated milk, and caramels. This is generously sprinkled with chopped nuts and semi-sweet morsels before adding the rest of the cake batter and returning to the oven.
What I did (WRONG) was try to divide up the batter into my favorite round cake pans and then layer. This might've worked better if I let the cakes get really hard in the freezer.....but, it was my first time and I couldn't wait to decorate the thing.
 |
| vanilla moon pies... |
Oh yeah, I layered a dark chocolate ganache in between and on top of the cakes......it is a chocoholic's birthday after all....
 |
| the little feet and eyes are turtle candies... |
 |
| the very last thing I did (not pictured) was add a few pellets of fiber one (original) cereal for little talons...I really couldn't help myself. |
i LOVE it. great job, Heady!!
ReplyDelete